Week one was Season 1 and Season 2 of BBC's The Office.
Week two was The Office Special and Born Free.
Week three will be Arrested Development Season 1 Disc 1 and Cinema
Paradiso. I know I'll like Cinema Paradiso as it reminds me of the
summer outdoor movie nights in Baltimore. Their Little Italy area
closes up a few streets and a parking lot beside a three story
building. Old Fred who lives across the street from the parking lot
lets the town use his electricity and his attic window for their
powerful projector and they shoot movies across the parking lot onto
the side of the three story building, which has been painted white so
that the movies show well. When no movie is playing the painted brick
looks a bit odd, but everyone knows why its white so it doesn't
matter. The dessert store down the street is busy with sugar-buzzed
patrons getting ready to watch the movie, the authentic deli serves
brick-oven pizzas from the back, and the gelato store down the street
is busier than a beehive in July. Folks set up their lawn chairs in
the parking lot and streets as the popcorn machine is wheeled around
distributing free popcorn, and the local musicians play an Italian
singalong on a keyboard as a pre-show. Volare, oh oh, volare. And
something about a pizza pie hitting your eye. When it gets dark out
the cartoon begins, just like when we were kids. After the cartoon
are family-friendly movies, some with an open-air-movie or Italian
theme, like Return to Me or My Cousin Vinnie. One of the summers I
was there they played Cinema Paradiso, which makes you sound cool if
you pronounce it authentically-- CHEE nah mah pah dah DEE soh. So I
look forward to seeing it again.
Any thoughts on Arrested Development? My sister loves it and thinks
I'll like it, too. Anyone else seen it?
No comments:
Post a Comment